Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

..So That Better Things Can Fall Together

After I got let go, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to go next.
In order to afford the new home we were in, I couldn't go back to a low paying job, and I had felt like I "lucked out" when it came to my "dream job."

I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to find a job that paid what I needed to make, and that we would end up needing to rent out our home.

Despite the horrible timing, we also really lucked out.

Because we had just signed on our mortgage, we had two months where we didn't have to make a house payment. That was a major blessing.

I was also able to collect unemployment, and in turn save for the next few mortgage payments while we were "rent free."

It was nice for me to be able to take a few months off. I knew there would be very few opportunities in my life that I could stay at home with Tai, and have an income.

 I really took advantage of it because I needed to figure out what I wanted, and where I needed to be.

A few weeks before my unemployment stopped, I was scrolling through job openings, and an Academic Adviser position popped up. I didn't really have a background in Advising, but the salary was great, and the drive wasn't too bad.

I submitted my resume on a whim, and got a call the same day.
I interviewed the day after that, and was offered the position that evening.

It was such a whirlwind.

After losing a job I loved, being a stay at home mom for 4 months and then getting a job offer that required me to drive 25 miles through the canyon everyday (a huge fear of mine) I had no idea what to expect.

It took a lot of time to adjust to a new job, new coworkers, and a new schedule.

Looking back, I still can't believe how lucky I got.

The way everything happened, the timing of being let go, my unemployment running out and the position coming available at my new job, it all worked out perfectly.

I found out later that my work almost never hires people from job postings. I would say that 99% of our new hires come through referrals. So the fact that I got in during the small window when they were hiring, really speaks to how lucky I was and how perfect the timing was.

Without the experience I gained at 123, I would have never been able to land this job.

I love my new coworkers. I love coming to work. I have so many more opportunities than I did at my last job, and we are paid in money, not just "perks."

This whole situation has been a big "let go and let god" experience for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment